Monday, May 21, 2007

wells race report

alas, wells ave finally had its first race since april 7th...which was also the last time mark, bob, kieran, and i raced. after being cancelled due to traffic so many times, today's downpouring rain couldn't keep away boston's racing faithful.

for my personal story, i overselpt this morning. however, i was ready to go to make the 10:30 start. however, i decided to pump up my tires before i flew out the door, only to blow out my rear wheel. so having no time to change the tube, i grabbed the wheelset that came with my Rivet and threw it on, and off i went (this will be important later).

while making the 20 minute drive, mark calls and informs me that the race will start at 10:15, not 10:30. thus began my (name a nascar driver here)-like driving. i made it to the race just in time to hear them call the riders to the line as i was putting my number's last pin in my jersey.

the rain was really pissing now. and kieran was the first person to be smart and stayed in his warm, dry car to watch us fools.

off we went, at a pretty good clip too, despite not being able to see a thing thru the tire spray, the traffic (which was too much, in deed), and totally soaked kits. about 1/2 thru bob was the next smart one and fled to the safety of his car.

mark and i stayed mostly near the front of the ever shrinking group. with 3 to go mark found me and we made a plan for him to lead me out with 1/2 a lap to go. the last three laps were attacked filled, and knowing that at wells any attack near the end can disappear quickly, mark and i stayed glued to each move.

at the bell, the pack slowed and began to bunch up, at which time i yelled to mark to rev it up, for fear i'd get boxed in and, with the rain, a crash would be certain. mark did awesome cranking it up. i was 5 wheels back, but still right where i wanted to be. around the final turn mark pulled off and the sprint started. however, with these new wheels i was unable to get into my 11 cog, so trying to sprint in a 12 is like treading water, i wasn't able to accelerate ahead of the guys in front of me and could only hold my position. so i finished 5th, happy to get my first top 5 of the year, but upset at what should have been my first win. big thanks to mark for the amazing pull at the end.

next weekend i'll be racing with ryan in bar harbor, ME, and then monday at the cape able race in kennebunk, ME. any one up for those?

how did everybody else's weekend go???

thad

No comments: